Our Subscribers Say...
I think Credit Today is fantastic. You cover many practical topics in the credit field that I use regularly. Just one recent example—a conversation on the ListServ about preferential payments—gave me tips that I used in an actual case. The specific information I picked up from this one discussion saved me $10,000, enough to cover my membership for many years!|
- Steve Savino
Manager of Credit & Collections, ASSA Abloy Americas Division, New Haven, CT
Credit Today's Resource Directory and their online e-mail forum (ListServ) provide information on almost any credit-related topic you can think of. It is a great way to exchange information with other credit professionals. As the saying goes, "You don't know what you don't know."
- Scott Goen,
Credit Manager, Big Lots Stores, Inc., Wholesale Division
"We've recently started using the ListServ tool within Credit Today. This is phenomenal and powerful forum for gaining immediate feedback, ideas, and suggestions, relative to any credit topic under the sun, all in a real-time e-mail format."
-Javier Vela, Senior Credit Manager, Global Credit Services, JDA Software Group Inc.
"Being a part of the Credit Today online community is like having the expertise of hundreds of credit managers at your fingertips. These credit execs are willing to help you solve topical business issues as they arise. In the current environment of ever increasing competing priorities which reduce our opportunities to meet peers out of the office face-to-face, this is the most valuable tool you can have on your desktop! It's important that we have a mechanism to reach out to our counterparts quickly to exchange knowledge as well as to stay on top of industry trends."
- Victoria Artis, Director of Customer Financial Services, Pfizer, Inc.
"Over the last 10 years I've seen Credit Today evolve from a monthly credit publication into a quality source of information and guidance for the B2B credit community. The website, with its user friendly form downloads, will take you from examples of new account credit applications to bankruptcy forms and everything in between.
The Credit Today ListServ has become the pre-eminent online forum, providing an opportunity for discussion and comments (and occasional humor) from an impressive list of credit professionals."
David Dungan, Director of Credit
Justin Brands, Inc. (A Berkshire Hathaway company)
Fort Worth, Texas
"There are numerous credit periodicals available to the credit professional today. How good is Credit Today? Is it relevant? I always have to read it late, or online because my credit analysts want to read it the minute it comes in. When my staff wants to read a publication before I have a chance to read it then something is working in that publication. We have cancelled our other subscriptions. When you have the best you do not need the rest."
Corporate Credit Manager-World Wide
Thales Navigation, Inc.
"The newsletter, coupled with the website and the ListServ, are to us, more valuable than any other credit publication, bar none. I try to use at least one article out of each newsletter for departmental training/discussion sessions."
D. Mark Constantine
Corporate Credit Mgr
Fulton Paper Company
"I love Credit Today and read every issue cover to cover. For me, the greatest perk of a subscription is ListServ. I believe Credit Today's ListServ members may be the most knowledgeable Credit brain trust in existence today. I have saved and categorized hundreds of contributions on a wide variety of topics which I refer to often. It's an easy and cost effective way to network and learn."
Doug M. Thomas
Kimberly-Clark Customer Financial Services
Leadership Profile: David L. Uranga, Director of Financial Services Bell MicroProducts
Credit Management Philosophy
I really believe that vigilance and the basics are more critical than ever. We're all concerned about the economy and world events. Those give us all the more reason to get back to basics. I really believe that if everyone minds their basics, with such simple things as reviewing credit carefully, making their calls, and following up on their calls, and not letting requests for financial statements just slip by, then those are the best things we can all do. As always, you've got to be careful that diligence doesn't alienate your valued customers. This is the time for true professionals to step up. Our expertise and professionalism are now needed more than ever by our companies and staffs.
- Married 21 years to Linda
- Five children: Three sons, Jason, Sean, and Michael, and two daughters, Deanna and Kara
- Reading. Favorite books: The Book of Mormon and the New Testament. Favorite novel: Winter of Our Discontent, by John Steinbeck.
- Theatre: Most recent play, Mama Mia, "Was fabulous!" Favorite plays, 1776 and Evita
- Former scoutmaster of BSA Troop 494, Walnut Creek
- Little League coach, Walnut Creek Single A White Sox
- Active as a Seminary Instructor and with youth groups in the Church of Jesus Christ, Latter Day Saints
- BellMicro Products, 1996 -- present
- McKesson Drug, Vice President, Credit, 1994 -- 1996
- Consultant, Uranga Financial Services, 1991 -- 1994
- Worldwide Director of Financial Services, Ashton Tate (dbase II) ("Proud owner of a an original dbase II jacket"), 1983 to 1991
- TOMY Toys, Credit Manager, 1980 -- 1983
- Max Factor, Credit Manager, 1977 -- 1980
Professional and Community Associations
- Member, Credit Today Editorial Advisory Board
- Past president, National Micro Computer Credit Association
- Past president, Riemer, President's Council
- Chairman of TMA Credit Association, West Coast Division
- NACM Loss Prevention Committee
- Credit Research Foundation Research Committee
- Instructor, CMA
- Former member, Board of Governors, CMAC Adjustment Bureau
Originally published: November 1, 2001